Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Charlatan in the Church...

Unfortunately, there are some in my local parish who praise this guy and his writings . His name is Fr. Richard Rohr. I've read some of his writings, and listened to a set of his audio CDs. There was a period in my life when I strayed a bit from my Catholic upbringing into the New Age arena, though I never went off the deep end. And, since then, I've returned to the Catholic Church and her teachings. Because of my spiritual diversion, I'm well-tuned to abhorrent spirituality. Red flags started waving when I read some of Rohr's "words of wisdom." Granted, there are some decent nuggets of Catholic theology in his writings, but you sometimes have to dig through quite a bit of questionable stuff to get to it. Upon hearing him speak via his audio tapes/CDs, I got (in my opinion) a certain picture of the type of person he reminds me of - a charlatan. I know that sounds harsh, but if you read or listen to some of his stuff with a clear set of eyes you may be able to discern this. If you want a recent summation of this guy's teachings and affiliations, read this to get a clearer picture.

2 comments:

Julie D. said...

That confirms a lot of my suspicions about him. I've never read much by Rohr but when I have it has always seemed off. I just didn't realize how far off until now.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...

Fr. Rohr is one of those prophets in the church.

He has restored my faith and deepened my understanding of Catholicism.

If he doesn't work for you, don't be so quick to discount the great work he has done for others....

- A devout Catholic.