Monday, May 23, 2005

EC:WC FCA Review - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

This is a West Coast Critic review:

A very quirky and tongue-in-cheek space comedy in the vein of Monty Python. I've read the books by Douglas Adams, and this flick keeps the spirit of the novels (and the BBC radio series they were based on). It doesn't always work, with a few jokes and a couple scenes falling flat. But, for the most part, it's a fun ride. I laughed my a** off on a number of occasions.

If you're not familiar with Adams' work, then you may not quite "get it". And if you're an Adams worshipper, you may feel a little let down. But if you go into the theater with the proper mindset, you'll walk out of the theater giving it 3 wine bottles out of 5.

The special fx are cool, there's enough laughs to split your sides, and it's pure oddball escapism. I'd much rather watch this than yet another Star Wars "pre-quel" (and, no, I have not seen Stars Wars Part I, nor Part II, and I have absolutely no compulsion to see Part III... I'm Sith and tired of George Lucas).

No comments: