Monday, July 09, 2007

Ira Meyer - Photography

Last week, on the Fourth of July, I went downtown to the annual Independence Day festivities in my hometown. Main Street was blocked off for entertainment and various types of vendors. And I happened to bump into an old acquaintance of mine, Ira Meyer, whom I hadn't seen in a few years. He's a professional photographer, and he had his booth set up for displaying and selling his photographic prints.

His work is strikingly beautiful, and has even graced the pages of National Geographic (the Ponderosa Pines in the Mist pic). The vast majority of his work is of nature and scenic vistas, but that basic description doesn't do his art justice.

Here's a link to one of his recent prints from his travels to Antarctica. The brilliance of the translucent blue ice is breathtaking. Here's another link to Argentine Patagonia. Or, how about some wildlife. Or, a portraiture from India. I ended up buying one of his Antarctica prints (not shown on his web site) for myself - it's of a shimmering blue iceberg, back lit by the unseen rising sun, against a dark sea and charcoal sky.

I highly recommend purchasing a copy of his coffee table book, "Suddenly the Sun Emerged". It is well worth the modest $19.95.

No comments: