Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Blaising a Trail to Good Health...

Today is the feast day of St. Blaise, the patron saint of throat maladies.  I remember having my throat blessed on this feast day several times when I was a youngster.  It has to be at least 20 years since the last time I had that blessing.

My Dad reminded me that it was this week, and that my old parish back east had the throat blessings on Sunday.  Of the four parishes near where I live and work here in California, only one was doing the blessings - today, after each mass.  I went this morning at 8 AM before driving to work, and received the blessing.

I particularly need it.  I've had various throat issues ever since I was an infant (having been born with a cleft palate - the soft palate at the back of the throat - which required surgery when I was about 2 years old).  For the past year I've been having persistent tonsillitis (at age 45, go figure!), and it's been acting up again over the past couple months.

Find out if your church is doing the blessings today.

The blessing via the Googling God blog:

Through the intercession of St. Blaise, bishop and martyr, may you be free of every ailment of the throat and from every other evil. In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: