Sunday, March 30, 2008

Unfinished books...

Several weeks ago I posted my answers to a meme which listed six things about myself. One of my answers was with regard to unfinished books that I've read.

Well, while I was cleaning my apartment I decided to browse through my bookshelves to determine which books I am currently "in the middle of" - books I have started but have not quite finished reading through to the end.

Ummm..... turns out that the total is not 6 books, but..... 14! (yikes) And this does not include short story compilations, poetry compilations, and spiritual meditations/advice type books which are not meant to be read from cover-to-cover like a novel or biography.

The 14 books I am currently in varying degrees of unfinishedness?:

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: I read his "Love in the Time of Cholera" about a decade ago. I was fascinated by that book; though it is not for everyone, and it has some disturbing portions. But his "100 Years" really was a disappointment. After reading a quarter of the way through it I just gave up. Maybe I'll try to trudge through it at some point in the future. I'd rather re-read Italo Calvino novels and short stories.

Don Quixote by Cervantes: A classic, yes. But it is waaaaaaaaay too long and rambling. I've tried three times to read it. I've gotten further with each attempt. One day I'll make it through to the end.

Don Juan by Lord Byron: I started this but only went through the first Canto. I knew it was going to start slow, but there are passages later on which are fascinating. I decided to save this for another time when I'm ready to embrace the wild romp.

Histories by Herodotus: I stumbled upon this book via the film "The English Patient". I'm about 80% through it, and when I'm in the mood I pick up where I left off. It's difficult to remember things in their historical context within the narrative when you take long breaks between readings, but parts of it are fascinating and even hilarious.

My Antonia by Willa Cather: I read through much of this book, then did something I NEVER do... I skipped to the end. I was less than thrilled with how the novel ended, so I ended up just scanning through the remaining pages inbetween and glossed through them. I guess I got a little impatient with Cather's narrative, despite some beautiful prose.

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson: A nonfiction telling of the search for a sunken German WWII sub off the Atlantic coast. Don't know why I stopped this one. It's very intriguing, with a host of colorful characters involved in the search.

The History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage: Another nonfiction book which looks at the history of the world through the discovery/invention of six important imbibes: beer, wine, distilled liquor, coffee, tea, and cola. I've read the first four sections, and will eventually finish off the tea & cola. The constant usage of the chronological references "B.C.E." and "C.E." are annoying, though.

The Eight by Katherine Neville: A modern novel recommended by one of my nephews. Supposed to be similar in style to Umberto Eco's tomes. Got about 10% through it. Ehh.

The Winner by David Baldacci: Another modern novel; a suspense/thriller about a rigged national lottery. I got pretty far with this one, but some of the plot points just didn't fly with me. There is just something about much of today's fiction that leaves me less than satisfied. Ray Bradbury, definitely! Early Robert Ludlum for some fun-filled suspense, sure (not the movies, though). But too much of today's excuse for literature is nothing more than unfulfilling (is that a word?) fast food.

American Jihad by Stephen Emerson: An important book (along with quite a few others written in recent years) that gives eye-opening information about the state of Jihad and Islamic radicalism not only around the world but also within the U.S. Emerson gets a bit bogged down with details, and the proliferation of names and organizations become a blur. I would still recommend this important book.

The Confessions of St. Augustine: I'm actually almost finished with this. I think I have two and a half more "books/sections" left. You can't really read this in one sitting, or through long stretches. It's too dense, spiritually. I'm afraid to even attempt his "City of God".

No Man Is An Island by Thomas Merton: Lent to me by a friend. I'm not too much of a fan of his, but if you're going to read one book by him then this is the one! I found myself underlining passages left and right as I chewed through this. I had forgotten all about this book as I scanned through my shelves. I'll finish it after I'm done with "Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons" by Raymond Arroyo (a book I didn't include in this list because it's just short little one-sentence or two-paragraph spiritual lessons and insights - not an actual novel or non-fiction story. She's one smart, funny, and inspiring lady. And I'm almost finished with this book, too.).

Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body by Pope John Paul II: This thick book (with the current updated additions and corrections) is dense both theologically and philosophically. Thank goodness I first read Christopher West's brief primer, "Theology of the Body for Beginners". This important book is meant to be read one section at a time (each never being longer than eight pages). I plan on taking my time through the rest of this year to read it.

... and, finally...

Those Terrible Middle Ages: Debunking the Myths by Regine Pernoud: I just started reading this book (translated from the original french, written in the 70s). A bit scholarly, a little dated, and a little narrow in focus from a French point of view. But an important book nonetheless.

That's it! Most of these I'll finish eventually. A few I may not even bother picking back up again. But the list is dwarfed by the hundreds that I have read over the years. It's also dwarfed by the many books sitting on my shelves still waiting for me to crack open and start.

*sigh* So many books, so little time.

No comments: