Monday, December 01, 2008

On the Liturgical Cycle...

Jen has a wonderful post on the Liturgical Year:

"Probably the closest thing I ever experienced to the liturgical year was simply the change in seasons, but even that was a surprisingly weak structure. After all... celebrating feasts of bountiful harvests or the arrival of fair weather is nothing more than a symbolic gesture now that we have supermarkets that overflow with a surplus of every variety of food every day of the year. Thanks to air conditioners and heaters, winters and summers no longer impact life on anything other than a surface level. And the rhythm of the seasons can fluctuate drastically depending on where you live.

"It wasn't until I began exploring Christianity that I realized how much I craved some sort of kind of anchor for my years, and for life in general."

Read the whole post here.

No comments: